Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Which is which

Here are two accounts of September 11th. One is Sarah's-- the other is mine. You have to wonder who's is who's?

I got up for school just like any other day. I hardly remember what I did upon waking back then. I'm sure I had a routine similar to the one I have now, but I can't be sure. It's funny, most people have vivid memories of that day, but mine aren't as clear. It's a contrast that I haven't really been able to explain but it's there. I do have smaller chunks that I remember from that day but they are only pieces. The entire puzzle of 911 is still a mystery. I remember getting on the bus and having one of my friends tell me that a helicopter crashed into the world trade center. To be honest, I had never even heard of the World Trade Center before, let alone that there were two. I don't even remember who told me about the helicopter rumor.. pretty sad, I know. When I finally got to my first hour class, the news was on, but then, the teachers were told to turn the televisions off. I remember wanting to just watch TV, but we weren't allowed. It was almost like they (being the teachers and administration) were trying to shield us from the crash--like if we didn't see it, maybe it didn't happen. To this day, I'm not sure what the reason was behind keeping the news off during the time allotted for news watching. Oh well, I'm sure they knew what they were doing. But wait, didn't the airlines think they were safe? And what about the government? Didn't think they could stop an attack before it occurred in this day and age? Well, after staying up much later than I should have with my dad to watch the planes crash over and over and over again, I concluded that we had no idea what were doing. We still don't know what we're doing. I don't know if we will ever truly know.

From the moment I awoke that morning something was different. It could have been that the radio station I normally woke up to wasn't playing music, or it could be because my parents wouldn't get out of bed when I told them. Either way, it was a morning that I couldn't forget. Twelve years old and I ran downstairs to turn on the TV as I ate breakfast. All of that fire was frightening but it was even more alarming when my father told me they wouldn't fall, and they did. I went to school and it was like it never happened. Sure, there weren't a lot of kids there but we weren't allowed to watch the news so I wondered if it was really a big deal. Half of me imagined it over and done with as soon as I went to school but I had a feeling more details would surface as the day went on. I went home from school and watched the news with my mom straight until 11pm.After the events of the day I went to my computer and printed as many stories and photos about the day a I could. I knew it was a pivotal day in American history, yet I didn't realize that I would be engraved in our minds and allover the Internet for many years to come.

No comments: