Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dear Grandpa


Dear Grandpa,

You were never a soldier to me. I never once saw any amount of anger or aggression leak through your character. You seemed so passive, so fragile. The way people talk about you makes me believe that they define you somewhat by your military life. I just didn't see it. I still don't see it. It is so hard for me to understand why people wouldn't let that go. I suppose all veterans face that kind of containment. I wonder if you minded. I'm sure others mind their state upon returning. Was it difficult for you carry that part of your life with you forever? I would hope not, but I can't be sure. You were so quiet, so peaceful. Nothing could shake you. I hardly remember your voice. I probably don't remember because I don't remember ever asking you to tell me stories. I don't know what your childhood was like or how you lived. I don't know what it was like when you went to war. Perhaps, your personality was shaped by your experiences there, on the battlefield.
I know the one house we used to visit, but I haven't been there in four years. Well, I'll have to rely on my father for the rest. Thank you for doing what you could to make sure he didn't have to face war. I don't know if I could ever have lived without him.

love manda

No comments: